Carbs before Marbs – how carbs effect your Muscle Gain
Carbs before Marbs? Yes…yes…yes
Guess what…..carbs are not the single macronutrient making you fat! Yes they have their sweet spot in regards to intake, but when it comes to causing you to gain weight it’s more likely going to be your total kcal intake that’s screwed, not just the fact you maybe eating these bad boys!
Carbohydrates, especially of late, have been getting a bad rap, but to avoid them completely would leave you lacking in a lot of essential vitamins, minerals, fibre, anti-oxidants, phytonutrients, enzymes and co-factors; potentially leading you to health issues and weight retention. Not only this but also a reduction in exercise performance and recovery…which sucks!
* 4 kcal per gram
* Preferred fuel source during more intense activities, such as weight lifting, running, jumping and sprinting.
* Choose WHOLE FOODS preferably
* Ideal Carbohydrate Sources:
*VEGETABLES – such as potatoes (sweet and white), peppers, squash family, beetroots, carrots, parsnips, the more colourful the better
* FRUITS – both fresh and dried – Apples, mangos, oranges, banana
* GRAINS – such as corn and rice
* CEREALS – like oats or wheat or products thereof like bread
* LEGUMES & PULSES – such as black beans, lentils and chickpeas
Try and eat as much of a variety of carbs as possible, be as colourful as you can with your veg and fruit and try and eat seasonally. Maybe look at rainbow diet meal plans for some inspiration on or click on this link for tasty some omelette ideas!